Jenson Button catapulted himself to first place in the formula one driver’s championship with an incredible drive and 1st place at the Chinese Grand Prix. Jenson Button now leads the championship table with 60 points. Teammate and fellow Briton Lewis Hamilton took second place at the Chinese Grand Prix to make it a McLaren 1-2.
Lewis Hamilton had his brush with the wrong side of the F1 law when he almost took out Sebastien Vettel in the pits. He later blamed the incident on painted advertisements on the tarmac which reduce grip. It was another matter that to remain wheel to wheel with Vettel he actually was on the wrong side of the driveway. They briefly touched wheels and Hamilton again came into focus for dangerous driving that is becoming his trademark. Sebastien Vettel of the Red Bull team did not mince words while blaming Lewis Hamilton :
“At the stop I was ahead. I don’t know why he pulled to the left and was keen to touch me,” Sebastien Vettel said.
“His front wing was at my rear wheel. I hoped I didn’t get a puncture from that .I don’t really understand why he did that as I was a bit ahead of him and had the advantage. He didn’t have to make contact.” The German added
Jenson Button had a less eventful race by comparison, only looking uncomfortable once when he lost the grip at the hairpin of turn 6 as a result of aquaplaning. Jenson Button called the victory special after the race showing his mastery of the wet track and good judgement in choosing the right tyres.
“This is so special,” Jenson Button said.
“For me it is my best victory. Every time that you win I think it becomes your best victory, but this one was very special as it was very tough conditions. I had a job keeping it on the road at the end and the great thing is our pace was good. It wasn’t just the luck of calling the weather.” he added
Nico Rosberg finished third for the Mercedes GP team while teammate Michael Schumacher again struggled and finished 10th. Adrian Sutil had a decent race in his Force India car finishing 11th.
The Ferrari team had a mixed race with Fernando Alonso finishing 4th and teammate Felipe Massa finishing a dismal but still points earning 9th.
Final classification of the 2010 Chinese Formula One Grand Prix :
1. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren 1hr 46mins 42.163secs
2. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) McLaren +00:01.530
3. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes 00:09.484
4. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Ferrari 00:11.869
5. Robert Kubica (Poland) Renault 00:22.213
6. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Red Bull 00:33.310
7. Vitaly Petrov (Russia) Renault 00:47.600
8. Mark Webber (Australia) Red Bull 00:52.172
9. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 00:57.796
10. Michael Schumacher (Germany) Mercedes 01:01.749
11. Adrian Sutil (Germany) Force India 01:02.874
12. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Williams 01:03.665
13. Jaime Alguersuari (Spain) Toro Rosso 01:11.416
14. Heikki Kovalainen (Finland) Lotus 1 lap
15. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Williams 1 lap
16. Bruno Senna (Brazil) HRT 2 laps
17. Karun Chandhok (India) HRT 4 laps
Ret. Jarno Trulli (Italy) Lotus 30 laps
Ret. Lucas Di Grassi (Brazil) Virgin 48 laps
Ret. Pedro de la Rosa (Spain) BMW Sauber 49 laps
Ret. Sebastien Buemi (Switzerland) Toro Rosso 56 laps
Ret. Kamui Kobayashi (Japan) BMW Sauber 56 laps
Ret. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Italy) Force India 56 laps
Ret. Timo Glock (Germany) Virgin 56 laps
Image : McLaren Media