In what will come as a shocker to McLaren fans, Lewis Hamilton has been penalised for passing Kimi Raikkonen by passing a chicane by cutting it. It essentially places Lewis Hamilton at third place. The McLaren fans were shocked by the decision as it came after the race and celebrations.
Lewis Hamilton was penalised 25 seconds, a drive through penalty actually. The time was added to his time later on.
Kimi Raikkonen had led most of the race, but Lewis Hamilton in a controversial move cut across a chicane to overtake him. The move cost Lewis Hamilton dearly, Kimi Raikkonen while trying to pass Lewis Hamilton spun and went out of the race. But Felipe Massa was the ultimate gainer when Lewis Hamilton was penalised.
Now Lewis Hamilton leads Felipe Massa by only 2 points. Kimi Raikkonen on the other hand lost out on his great run at the Spa track in what would have been his 4th win although for different teams.
In the constructor’s championship , Ferrari lead McLaren by 12 points, McLaren is on 119, while Ferrari is on 131.
Nick Heidfeld who was being criticised a lot, was promoted to second place with Hamilton’s disqualification.
New Classification after Lewis Hamilton’s drive through penalty at the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix :
Pos Driver Team
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari
2. Nick Heidfeld BMW Sauber
3. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes
4. Fernando Alonso Renault
5. Sebastien Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari
6. Robert Kubica BMW Sauber
7. Antonio Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari
8. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault
9. Timo Glock Toyota
10. Heikki Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes
11. David Coulthard Red Bull-Renault
12. Nico Rosberg Williams-Toyota
13. Adrian Sutil Force India-Ferrari
14. Kazuki Nakajima Williams-Toyota
15. Jenson Button Honda 16. Jarno Trulli Toyota
17. Giancarlo Fisichella Force India-Ferrari
18. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
Fastest lap of the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix: Kimi Raikkonen, 1:47.930
Image copyright : Ferrari Media