It was an eventful race, and in the end Brit Lewis Hamilton emerged victorious to claim the golden trophy. A series of goof-ups by Ferrari in terms of tyres were enough to ruin Kimi’s race. Lewis was ecstatic after the race calling it his best win in terms of the race being the toughest for him to snatch.
He thanked his family after the race:
“I want to dedicate this to my family because as you can see I’ve had some troubles over the last couple of weeks and it’s been really tough,” Hamilton said.
“But as always your family are there when you need them.”
“The last couple of weeks I’ve been flat out with working very hard, just a lot of travelling, many different things and different emotions building,” he said.
“I’ve had a couple of bad races, and coming here it would have been nice to get some points and maybe a win. I thought a one-two would be possible.
“My mind’s always been right , I just had a lot on my plate, really. It’s nothing too serious, just life in general.
“Some of my personal life, working very hard. Just before the race I spoke to my brother and said I just hope I keep it on the track, and he said don’t worry about that, you’re a master in the wet. That was great to hear that.”
BMW Sauber’s Nick Heidfeld came second, while Rubens Barrichello was a surprise third in his Honda. Kimi Raikkonen was 4th after a tyre blunder by Ferrari. Our pole position man Heiki Kovalainen was 5th.
2008 FIA Formula one British Grand Prix, Silverstone
1. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren 1:39:09.440
2. Nick Heidfeld (Germany) BMW Sauber +01:08.577
3. Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Honda 01:22.273
4. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1 lap
5. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren 1 lap
6. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Renault 1 lap
7. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1 lap
8. Kazuki Nakajima (Jap) Williams – Toyota 1 lap
9. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams – Toyota 1 lap
10. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull – Renault 1 lap
11. Sebastien Bourdais (France) Toro Rosso – Ferrari 1 lap
12. Timo Glock (Germany) Toyota 1 lap
13. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Ferrari 2 laps
R Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 21 laps
R Jenson Button (GB) Honda 21 laps
R Nelson Piquet (Bra) Renault 24 laps
R Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India – Ferrari 33 laps
R Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India – Ferrari 50 laps
R Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso – Ferrari Spin
R David Coulthard (GB) RedBull – Renault Spin
Fastest Lap of race : Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari 1:32.150, lap 18.