Lewis Hamilton steered his McLaren to a very important pole position today at the Fuji speedway. The rain from the morning had almost dried , and the conditions were ideal for the run of the mill qualifying session. Lewis Hamilton’s title rival Felipe Massa could only manage a fifth, while his teammate Kimi Raikkonen got the second place in his Ferrari behind the Brit.
Heiki Kovalainen made it in 3rd place making sure that McLaren can give a strong challenge in the constructor’s championship. Force India were as usual in dismal form and last place.
The Toyotas also fared well amongst rumours of bankruptcy and financial woes. They got 7th and 8th place respectively.
Result of the 2008 Japanese Grand Prix qualifying :
1. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren-Mercedes 1:18.404
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:18.644
3. Heikki Kovalainen (Fin) McLaren-Mercedes 1:18.821
4. Fernando Alonso (Spn) Renault 1:18.852
5. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:18.874
6. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:18.979
7. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:19.026
8. Timo Glock (Ger) Toyota 1:19.118
9. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:19.638
10. Sebastien Bourdais (Fra) Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1:20.167
11. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Renault 1:18.187
12. Nelson Piquet (Brz) Renault 1:18.274
13. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull-Renault 1:18.354
14. Kazuki Nakajima (Jpn) Williams-Toyota 1:18.594
15. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Toyota 1:18.672
16. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:18.835
17. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Honda 1:18.882
18. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:19.100
19. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India-Ferrari 1:19.163
20. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Force India-Ferrari 1:19.910